Ecclesiastes 3: 1 "For everything there is a season, a time for every purpose under heaven."

5.28.2012

Coupons for Overseas Military Families

So, those of you who know me well may know that I make use of coupons a lot to save on our grocery costs.  I clip them from my Sunday paper, and I also print them at home from a variety of coupon websites.  Now, there are folks out there who certainly do WAY better than me in terms of their savings, but I feel good about this contribution to our family budget. 

As well intentioned as I am about clipping and printing coupons I can use, I do end up removing coupons which have expired each month and placing them in my recycling bin.  Maybe it's not something I needed, after all, or maybe I forgot to use it before the expiration.  Whatever the reason, seeing those coupons (representing potential savings) go unused never sits well with me.  Well, now I have found a really good use for my unused, expired coupons.

Military families living overseas can use expired coupons up to six months after their expiration date, and I recently learned about a simple way to participate in a program to send my expired coupons to an overseas military base.  Tonight, as I pulled out my expired coupons, I followed simple instructions for preparing them to be shipped, and I felt good that another budget-minded familiy will enjoy savings that would have ended up in my recycling bin.

The program I am going to be participating in is through a great coupon website called The Krazy Coupon Lady.  I visit this site weekly, and scroll through the (long) list of available links to printable coupons.  I love this site!  Anyway, they have sponsored a number of overseas military bases and they have two coordinators (based on your U.S. geography) who handle the coupons folks send in and ship them overseas.  The instructions are very simple, but necessary, so be sure to read them before mailing in any coupons.  I have just finished my first two bundles of "food" and "non-food" coupons, and will send them out in the mail this week. 

No comments:

Post a Comment