Ecclesiastes 3: 1 "For everything there is a season, a time for every purpose under heaven."

2.02.2013

Not a Hair Blog: Box Braid Update





A couple of weeks ago, I set Hope's hair in beautiful box braids, finishing them off in front in a sort of piggyback braid style which led to a small off-center ponytail containing more small beaded braids.  It was a nice look in the front, but it was not my intention to leave Hope's hair like that the entire time she will be wearing these box braids.  I was concerned, as I mentioned in the original post, about the rubber bands at the base of Hope's hair.  So yesterday I removed the front section and rebraided in the same small box braid style, this time without beads.  After finishing the braiding, I removed all of the beads from the other braids in the back as well.  To undo the folded ends, I simply dipped small sections of Hope's hair into water and then applied a curling creme to the ends (I used Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smootie).  I plan to have Hope wear these braids for several more weeks (I'm hoping for about 4 more weeks, which would be about 6 weeks total).

This was the original style

Note to self:  In the future I need to avoid using those chunky beads to cover up rubber bands.  I should have remembered that from the last time I did it (in a veil style).  But, I had forgotten.  These lovely beads, when placed right next to Hope's scalp, leave behind a small indentation when removed.  Obviously, they must not have felt too comfortable, but she never complained so I never realized how they were pressing in.  :(  Won't happen again.

So, the new version of the box braids contains well over a hundred...actually about 130, which is by far the most I have ever done.  They look so nice on Hope, and I'm pleased that they will last such a long time.  Without the beads, they will be so flexible for us (think headbands, pigtails, ponies, french braids, etc).


No comments:

Post a Comment