Ecclesiastes 3: 1 "For everything there is a season, a time for every purpose under heaven."

1.07.2013

twists & a trim

It's another 'installment' in my "Not a Hair Blog" Feature.  I enjoy reading natural hair care blogs, and I get so excited when I find beautiful pictures of girls of all ages with healthy, kinky, curly hair.  I love to share those pictures with my girl Hope, and really like seeing her reaction to seeing them.  Even though thoughts of having our own hair blog do swirl from time to time, I'm happy to just keep on including hair posts here.  (wink to Miss Jen!)

Hope's free hair has now been restyled in two-stranded rope twists.  Rope twists are different than regular two-stranded twists because each strand is individually twisted in one direction, while the two strands are then twisted together in the opposite direction.  This is a great way to preserve length in the hair, as the twists will not 'puff' up quite as much as regular twists.  These twists were a good choice for me as I knew that I was going to be giving Hope's hair a trim.

So here are the pics...

http://notesfromablessedlife.blogspot.com/





...and after the trim I gave her (just a little length off)



And... if you are interested, here's what we did:

I washed and conditioned Hope's hair (using Organix Coconut Milk) on Thursday, detangling in the bath (mostly finger detangling with some use of my detangling comb).  I did this in sections.  After rinsing out the conditioner, I sprayed each section with a jojoba oil (from Carol's Daughter).  I did a more thorough detangling comb-through while Hope's hair was still wet, with the help of a product I love by Talijah Waajid called The Great Detangler.  Even though she had been wearing loose hair, Hope's hair really wasn't tangled, and it was very well moisturized, so our comb-out went very smoothly.  I parted her hair down the middle, and also used what's called a 'headband' part in the front (or an 'ear to ear' part), dividing the hair into six sections.  I banded each section for stretching (using lots of cloth pony o's) and that was it for day one.

Friday, I began removing bands one section at a time and putting in the two-stranded rope twists.  I used two products from Oyin Handmade (love this company's products!):  Shine and Define styling creme, and Sugar Berries pomade.  It was very fast work for me, and a total of 44 twists went in.  I didn't use anything to keep the twists in, as Hope's stay in easily on their own.  Also, I knew I wanted to trim her ends (did that on Sunday) so I didn't want to bother with barrettes or beads.

Hope is all about the headbands right now so she is constantly adding one to her look (and then changing it later in the day... at least once).  I expect that she will continue to wear her twists (with the headband of course) for a couple of weeks, but I plan to reset before her birthday.  (She wants curly braids...)

So I knew that Hope's twists looked really good, healthy, and shiny.  I was pretty proud of how well they turned out.  Then, this morning, as we were leaving the gym, an African American woman stopped us to admire Hope's hair and ask me all about the style (what I did, what products I used, etc).  She even asked me how I learned to take care of this type of hair, and I felt good knowing that she was impressed.  Score one for Momma!  

No comments:

Post a Comment